Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Thu, 08/01/2019 - 5:05pm admin
(Makes 20-25 meat balls)
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- ¾ cup Italian breadcrumbs (fine)
- 1 ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons + 1 cup marinara sauce, divided
- ½ tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Set aside 1 cup marinara, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients (chicken, breadcrumbs, 1 cup Parmesan, garlic, onion, 2 tablespoons marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, basil, parsley, salt, pepper and egg). Mix well, do not over mix or you will have tough meatballs.
- Form small balls (slightly smaller than a golf ball – approximately 2 tablespoons) and place on the baking sheet.
- Baked for 16-18 minutes. They should be slightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Drizzle a spoonful of marinara over each meatball. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy as an appetizer or over your favorite pasta with additional marinara sauce!